Statistics Regarding Sexual Assault
- It is estimated that only 10 percent of rapes are reported to the police.
- 75 percent of the male perpetrators and 55 percent of the female victims report that alcohol was involved at the time of the incident.
- As many as one in four college women become victims of attempted or completed rape during their college years.
- In 60-80 percent of rapes, the assailant and the victim know each other and of these, over half of the rapes happen on a date.
- Victims of Sexual Assault are 3 times more likely to suffer from depression
- 6 times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder
- 13 times more likely to abuse alcohol
- 26 times more likely to abuse drugs
- 4 times more likely to contemplate suicide.
- 17.7 million American women have been victims of completed or attempted rape.